5.11.2011

Dreaming of Vermont



Last August, I visited my parents in southern Vermont like I do every summer.  My mom is good at finding secret spots in the woods and I always enjoy exploring them with her.  In addition to the abandoned 18th century graveyard (pics to come), she also found this old road which has now become an overgrown trail.  It goes over the mountain behind the house and around to the Williams River and the Bartonsville Covered Bridge.  A couple hours after starting out, we emerge from the dense tree canopy to a more modern dirt road framed by blackberries.  A sweet treat at the end of our labor.  Last year, we saw maidenhair ferns and red eft newts.  The wild and moist lushness is an antidote to the dry wilds of LA, though both hold places in my heart.  I can't wait to get to the woods again this summer.

No comments: