7.25.2011

Patio Pendant Lamp



I've  been hoarding these rusty old lamp bits around for at least a year now.  I got them at a thrift store for about $5 each, and I knew they would come in handy at some point.  Our new house has a lovely front patio, with tea tree shrub that arches over it.  I like that this area is a little wild and hidden, but it gets a little spooky at night.

To brighten it up, I decided to hang one of these lamps and use the other as a votive holder.  The one that still had its beautiful blue and yellow glass intact just needed a light strung through it, which was easily done with one bought at Ikea.  I made sure to use a really low wattage CFL bulb that uses very little energy, does not get hot and shines a subtle light.  Then it was just a matter of snaking an extension cord through the crawl space and finding the right branch to support it -- it was important to find a spot that was tucked into the tree so it would look like the lamp was naturally part of it.

Now our front patio has a little more ambiance and is a magical little space for enjoying cool LA evenings.

1 comment:

Polly/Mom said...

Great photos! That looks so inviting! Can I come over?