1.10.2012

Night by Richard Misrach





I came upon these photographs by Richard Misrach today at the Geffen Contemporary as part of the Under the Big Black Sun exhibit.  Taken in the late 70s as a series called Night, each of these untitled pieces captures an eerie yet calm side of the desert.  The spotlight effect makes me wonder if the cacti were caught in the act -- like night vision glimpses of things that skulk through the desert; glimpses of private moments.  I feel lucky to gaze into this quiet world. 

The third photo down captures one of my favorite effects of night photos -- the the sky is indeed brighter than the horizon, and the hills are velvety dark in their own shadows.

I've never been to the desert, and it frightens me somewhat.  I sense dangers there I'm not used to like tarantulas and jackalopes.  These photos only reinforce that fear, but it's now an excited fear.

Photos sourced as follows: 1, 2, 3, 4.

1 comment:

Above the City said...

Thanks for visiting the Montecito Heights site. Love your site. Both of them actually!