2.18.2013

Collections



I collect too many things.  But I love them and enjoy arranging and rearranging them, reminding myself of where they've come from and the stories each thing holds.  I've always collected beach detritus -- shells, rocks, glass, doorknobs, etc.  Thankfully, I also love finding old dishes to put them in.  I have many bowls around the house, full of memories. 



Various plates or bowls found at thrift stores, or even the dump in Bellows Falls, VT (which has an outstanding "Free" pile).



Bowls filled with stories: top left is from this past September's trip to Miami and Sanibel Island, top right is from Tulum, Mexico, bottom is my favorite color of sea glass, mostly collected from the shores of Lake Erie.  


This year saw visits to many trees, as part of my schooling, including giant sequoia, metasequoia, cupressus arizonica, and good old juniper from which I took some educational souvenirs (all top left).  This other old bowl is a mash up of memories -- the shores of Lake Erie, Malibu, probably something from Minnesota, something from Maine, and a few mysteries. 


Another recent find I just had to share was my new lamp, from an estate sale this weekend. 


And lastly, the camellias are finally in bloom again in our yard.  I couldn't feel luckier to be able to step outside and pluck a few. 

1 comment:

Polly/Mom said...

What a delightful post, so full of joy and memories. I love the lamp with the fern fronds on it. Don't stop collecting; you're gifted at it. It is a far cry from hoarding.