4.25.2013

Enrage my waters, tame my shore



The LA River, before and after.  I must admit, although the river today is a far cry from its former natural beauty, the Glendale Narrows are lovely to walk beside, and I wish I had been around for The River Road era.

Top photo: A view of a gentleman sitting next to the Los Angeles River. Charles C. Pierce (1861-1946), Griffith Park and Los Angeles River at Source, 1900. Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens.

Bottom photo: “Dick” Whittington Studio, Concrete mixer at Los Angeles River bed, 1940. Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens.

2 comments:

by BUN said...

woah! I'm such a sucker for historical photos like this...esp since I live in LA! really rad.

AG said...

I know! Can you imagine seeing it like that in real life?